Songkran Festival is the most famous Festival in Thailand. It is considered as The Thai New Year and the Longest Holiday in Thailand. Usually This is the Season For Thai Citizens to Travel Domestically and overseas. Spending Time with families and Friends during Songkran is very important for Thai People. In Addition, Praying at temples and give alms to the monks is also a tradition during this Festival. April is the Hottest month in the year in Thailand, that’s why the Water Splash Tradition came from since the Olden Days.
The Songkran Festival is From 13 to 15 April every year.
Where to Celebrate Songkran in Thailand
Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai are the best 3 Cities where you can Experience the Songkran Festival. In Bangkok, the best places to celebrate the festival are in Khao San Road, Silom and Sanam Luang. These places are were Big Crowds meet and Water Fights becomes more fun and Adventurous. In Chiang Mai, You may spot People riding elephants on the streets and splashing water on everyone.
Traditions During Songkran in Thailand
Praying with the Elderly People put the water in their hands. When you do this to the elderly, They will wish you a good health and Life. and Water Splash and when you splashing to the People make good willing.
During Songkran Festival, Men will have a small bucket of Powder that smells nice. If a man see the lady that he likes, he can Say Hi how are you and tell her that she is beautiful in the respective way and tap the powder on her face gently.
When Splashing the Water on Thai People you must say Sawasdee Pee Mai which means Happy New Year, or Sawasdee wan Sogkran Which means Happy Songkran Day.
- Traffic is very busy especially in Places where crowd Meet so try to use public transportation.
- Make Sure to wear Light clothes and to protect your Phone with a waterproof cover So you will be able to take photos and enjoy the festival at the Same time.
- Don’t splash water on elderly People and Monks. You will also have to celebrate responsibly and in a Civilized way. For example, don’t splash water on motorcycle as it may cause serious accidents. In addition, Make sure that you only use clean water.
- Make Sure to buy your Water Gun so you can enjoy more.
- Take care of your belongings as there will be a lot of crowd so theft is possible.